Are accompanists expected to sight read perfectly?

• So I recently started piano accompaniment part time at a music school. I've been playing the piano since I (21 F) was 5 and got my licentiate diploma around 7 years ago and did a BA in music composition. Just providing some background.

So anyways, I started at this school and it's quite disorganised; I changed teachers who Im with like twice and am still changing. But I got put w a trumpet teacher, I had been messaging him for around 2 weeks now asking for the repertoire that we will be going through during his lessons. He just gave me a book for "easy piano and trumpet duets" so I figured he had low grade students, so I just had a look through the book.

Anyways so the day comes and he has a grade 5 student with his exam in around 3 weeks and he just gave me 2 pieces to sight read and accompany there and then. It was the triumphal march by Verdi and the Toreador song from Carmen. I did decently in the march but messed up quite a bit in the Toreador song.electronic cigarette

I mean, tbf the teacher was super nice about it but I felt really embarrassed. Am I crazy for thinking he should've sent me the music before? Im aware I will have to sight read sometimes but since these are exam pieces, I figured he would've known about them and sent them before.

Do accompanists get a bad rep when this happens? Are we just expected to sight read anything?

• Is this really possible? i wonder not!

• Is this really possible? i wonder too!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Du hast noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registriere dich kostenlos und nimm an unserer Community teil!